While doing some other work for a customer, I noticed that windows defender hadn’t been updated for about 8 weeks (from end of Nov 2007 to end of jan 2008).
I tried a “manual” update, but it kept giving an 0x80240022 error (and the last update timestamp wouldn’t change).
Since I was running late, I asked the customer to call me back if it continues to give the error.
About mid february, he calls me back, saying it still won’t update.
when I take a look, I notice that the update timestamp is around the 5 feb… Looks like it got updated since I was last there, but not reliably enough.
I try a few simple things like disable the xp firewall, reinstall WD, but nothing works.
Looking around the net and I see many suggested solutions ie:
I try them, but after I now end up with a 0x8024402f error.
Another trawl around the net led me to:
but none of those suggestions worked either.
So we decided to just dump defender and go with something like avg anti-malware (since customer was already using avg anti-virus, then AVGAM would have been a simple step.
And there starts another story…
I am finding so many bogus windows defender errors, most of which disappear once windows defender is restarted, or the PC is restarted. Most seem to happen only after the initial install of windows defender.
But this particular one (0x8007E22E) happened to a laptop that had been running windows defender for a few weeks… and the owner called me because windows defender wasn’t updating anymore.
The main problem was the the customer didn’t wait for windows defender to complete its updates. (Customer was on dialup internet, and defender gives virtually no feedback that it is currently updating itself (I found the only way to tell is to click on the arrow near the help circle, and if the “check for updates” menu option is greyed-out, then it is in the process of updating… very annoying).
Its odd, since windows defender will give visual feedback on some other PCs… its almost like there are a few “undocumented” versions of windows defender out there…
A customer had just purchased a brand new acer PC. They had just got it out of the box, but didn’t feel comfortable with the vista setup. And they also needed me to setup their new ADSL internet.
Everything goes smoothly, except when windows defender updates, it generated an error 0x8024402F.
I try windows update, and I get a very similar error: 8024402C
From experience, I know that a windows restart usually fixes defender errors, but not this time.
A quick search reveals that one option is that the internet connection is being blocked, usually by a firewall.
Well, the only firewall on the system is the vista firewall.
I disable the vista firewall, and then both updates work correctly.
After the updates, everything seems to fall into place, and vista is working normally again (even after the firewall is re-enabled).
I seem to get many odd windows defender problems.
This one happens during updates on an infrequently used PC (I switch it on maybe once or twice per month).
I do an antivir update, followed by a defender update, and I get a 0x80240016 error.
I find out that its not really a problem… restart defender (or the PC), and it will say everything is fine… how annoying.