I imported a dual-SIM android phone, which then started to behave strangely when a SIM card got inserted into either of the SIM slots.
When I’d try to make a call with a few different SIM cards, I’d either get the message:
No SIM or SIM error
Restricted access changed
After some digging around, I found that entering the number *#06# should display the IMEI for the phone… but instead, I got:
So I decided that it was possible that the phone had two “changed” IMEI numbers, so I would see about changing them back to the numbers on the back of the phone.
While researching this, I found that it is illegal (apparently) to change IMEI numbers.
But I figured:
I’m only going to use numbers that I know belong to me, and I won’t try any other numbers… and its worth trying before I have to ship the damned thing all the way back to china for a replacement.
First of all, the phone needs to be “rooted”
Second, you need to do install a linux command prompt
Then, you need to do the following (assuming you want to use an IMEI of “123456789012345”):
This will change the IMEI for SIM1
To change the IMEI for SIM2:
Just remember: Only do this with numbers you know are yours for certain (eg from an old phone you are about to throw away). If you try anything else, you might get into a lot of trouble.
In my case, using the phones original IMEI numbers did not help, yet using the IMEI from another phone worked perfectly.
So it looks like the manufacturer somehow mucked up their numbers, and the phone is going back 🙁