I hate it when a router “partially” fails.
A customer has a wgr614 v6 wireless router. It seems that it stopped working just after they had some electrical work done.
The cable modem works fine if connected directly to the PC
I take a look, and the router behaves very strangely:
- When I start IE, it always goes to the netgear setup wizard (even if you try going to google!)
- The PC gets it IP settings correctly (via dhcp)
- pinging any (even non-existent) websites, gives a reply ping from the router…
- I start bartPE, and it also generates the strange pings… so the problem is not the PC, its the router
- I reset to factory default setting, but nothing changes.
Based on this, I declare the modem fried, and give the customer his options… I can take it back to the office, and see if I can resurrect it, or just give up and get a new router.
Customer elects for the new router.