I had a customer who installed ie7, and then it stopped working… emails worked fine, but no browsing (and the CPU hits 100% until I end the IE task).
I take a look, and sure enough, ie7 only gives the page cannot be found error.
I try cleaning the IE cache, ipconfig /flushdns, but the problem is still there.
I uninstall ie7, and ie6 works fine.
I reinstall ie7, and then it stops working again.
Hmmm, it should just work.
There were a few toolbars (yahoo, google, etc), so I try running IE7 with no add-ons (look under: accessories -> system tools.
Hey, it works…
So from ie7, I go to tools -> manage add-ons -> enable or disable add-ons
I then disable all the useless-looking add-ons (all the yahoo, google and msn toolbars), and after that it works every time.
However, I found I had to disable the add-ons for all the users on the system (a total of 3). It was annoying enough, that I started wondering if there was a way to globally disable add-on across all users. I’ll have to look it up (one day…)