At first, this sounds like a simple internet dropout.
I see the modem has a DSL light, so it looks like the internet should work… but it doesn’t.
I ask (as I usually do): has anything been changed recently? The answer is no.
Once connected to the modem, I can see that its “disconnected”. I hit the connect button, and it seems to work… but still no internet (no web pages, and no ping).
I try ping from the modems tools section, but I get no reply.
I try a factory reset, but that mostly doesn’t work… I managed to get 1 webpage working, and then nothing.
At this stage, I’m starting to suspect a faulty modem. I bring in my spare modem, to see if that will work.
I also ask the customer to ring bigpond, as we might need to reset her password.
She says only her hubby is authorised to discuss account details with bigpond.
Ok, looks like she will need to ask him to call bigpond, and add her as an authorised representative, so that she can get bigpond to talk to me, and I’ll see if a password reset is worth trying… phew!
After phoning her hubby, she tells me she knows what the problem is: A few days ago, hubby rang Bigpond, and increased their download limit (kids downloading lots of music, etc). For some reason, the password got changed… but he forgot to tell anyone.
Once I use the correct password, everything worked perfectly.
Its amazing how just 1 wrong piece of information, can lead to 90 minutes of running around, getting nowhere.