Continuing from my last post about norton personal firewall: I found that the internet was very slow.
A broadband speed test showed that the internet was running slightly faster than dialup speeds (ie 100 to 300 Kbps (ADSL1 goes from 256Kbps to 1500Kbps).
The PC next to this one, was measuring 3600Kbps, so it wasn’t my internet connection.
Next step was to do a file transfer. I copied mrt.exe from the system32 folder… on a normal PC, it takes 16 seconds to copy… but on this PC, it took 16 minutes.
After some searching around, I decided to reset the TCPIP stack (command prompt from XP):
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Wow, it worked.
Not sure if this was caused by the infection, or by the incorrect removal of norton personal firewall, but now the PC and network are at full speed.