Strange problem… While setting up wireless internet, I also remove norton from a customer computer.
After installing the usual (antivir, defender, spywareblater, winpatrol, I find that antivir will not update.
I don’t want the PC to run with virus definitions that are a few months out of date, so I take the PC back to the office.
Its only then that I notice my own PCs will not update antivir…
I eventually find that the antivir servers had been overloaded (due to an unusually large update)… it all starts working normally just a few days later.
Looks like I assumed the worst, but the problem turned out to be out of my control.