Did you encrypt a file or folder in Windows 7 and want to open it on another computer or laptop? In order to access an encrypted file or folder on another system, users need to back up and transport the encryption key used by the computer that executed the encryption. Producing a copy of the encryption key takes a little more patience and effort than encrypting and decrypting files and folders in Windows 7.
This is how it can be done:
- From the Start Menu, Find and Click Run
- Type in certmgr.msc to reach the Certificate Manager
- Click Personal (1st folder) and then Certificates
- From the Intended Purposes column (4th column), find all certificates that are responsible for Encrypting File System. You can click on the title of the Intended purposes column to sort the list alphabetically.
- Copy and Paste all certificates you have found to somewhere safe and portable.