A customer was having problems getting his wireless router (dsl-g604t) to make a wireless connection (he likes to experiment, and thinks he stuffed up a setting somewhere).
He had one PC connected to the router via ethernet. I try it and I can see the router. I can connect via his default browser (firefox), and I change some settings.
I then go to save and restart. I push the button, but the router LEDs continue to glow and blink as usual. I expect most of them to switch off, at least temporarily, but nothing happens.
I try pulling the power plug, but when I reconnect to the router, none of the settings have changed… hmmm
I try just one setting (the SSID), restart the router, and the old SSID is back after the restart. A faulty router?
I try changing a few other settings, but the results are the same…
I eventually decide to try IE instead of firefox. I change the SSID again, press the save and reset button, and hey!, a small window pops up (blocked by firefox), that asks “are you sure?”
After that hiccup, I setup WPA-PSK (I have no option to choose AES encryption, so I use TKIP instead)
I setup the laptop, and I setup the second PC (it also has wireless).
The only task left is to take a look at why the printer is not working. The printer seems to have the drivers installed correctly, and an appropriate windows printer exists.
I go to print a test page, but I get some pages with funny characters printed on them instead.
I see there are about 6 jobs n the print queue. I cancel them all, but the jobs currently printing doesn’t want to be cancelled… even after a PC restart.
In the end, I just let the printer complete its job, restart the PC and the printer, and everything is working normally.
And all done within 1 hour. Its amazing how much (and sometimes, how little) can be accomplished in just 1 hour