This PC suddenly started to give an error message whenever an outlook email link was clicked:
This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer
Hovering over the link showed it began with the word: “BLOCKED:”
After some quick research, it seemed the solution was to check outlooks security options:
tools -> options -> security -> Secure content -> Zone
I changed the Zone from “Restricted sites” to “Internet”
Now when I hover over the link, I don’t get the “BLOCKED:” prefix, but clicking on the link still gives the “cancelled due to restrictions” error.
Another poke around the internet gives this suggestion: reset the IE settings to default… ie:
Tools -> internet options -> advanced -> Reset…
But this didn’t fix the problem either.
Next thing to try was:
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> set program access and defaults -> at this point, “custom” is normally highlighted… click on “custom -> choose default web browser -> pick the specific web browser you want to use (probably Internet explorer) -> OK
I close IE7, and outlook, restart outlook, and links will now open IE7 when they are clicked on. Hooray!
The customer that had this problem asked if it was possible that a past technician had deliberately caused this problem.
Since I had no way of being sure, I told her so… It would be both a very low thing for a technician to do, and something that required some good knowledge to implement… knowledge that can be used for good instead of evil… but who knows, there are some strange people out there.