A few weeks ago a friend said he had bought a new toshiba laptop. I suggested he should get a wireless router and he told me that a year ago when he changed his ISP, they gave him a wireless router (Thompson TG585V8 ) that was still in the original packing. (Telecom/XTRA here now use Thompson exclusively.)
I offered to set it up and the swap went without a hitch. I did a speed test and got 3/0.4 meg (common in most parts of NZ)
Then something he said made me ask if he had filters fitted and to my surprise it was no. Had had installed his original DSE router and didnt know it was necessary.
He had 3 phones and the kit contained 2 so I fitted them and the speed jumped to 9/0.6
The following day he picked up one from me and rang later he rang and said it was now 14/0.7
Wow! This is the highest I have ever heard of.
We think that it because telecom here are involved in a Fibre rollout around the country and the fibre cable passes his street only 300 metres away. As the largest High school in our area is near his house we suspect that there is a Roadside Dslam cabinet near the school which accounts for the speed.
There are some rather strange anomolies in speed. I set up a standard (non wireless) connection in one street (also Telecom) and got 9/0.6 A few weeks later a neighbour directly over the road got the identical package and we got 3/0.4
Quite strange. It can only be because of the condition of the copper part.