I had setup internet access on a laptop using a USB 3G modem via Virgin
Then I setup a gmail account and enabled pop3 access so I could download emails to windows mail (Vista).
I setup windows mail with the google pop3 and SMTP names (like I’ve done many times before).
But this time, I seem to receive emails, but sending emails gives error 0x800CCC0B
I double check everything, but still no go.
No help on the internet, except for the obvious stuff like check the SSL settings, etc etc.
There is only one explanation I can think of: Virgin are blocking port 465.
So I take the quick and easy way out: I use the virgin SMTP server and port.
Sometimes its just not worth wasting much time making something work “just right”