Clients printer (Canon BJ series) had suddenly stopped working. It was weird, since win98 detected the printer & installed the driver, but couldn’t print to it.
The printer itself would do self-diag, so it was either a windows/computer issue, or a cable issue.
I decided to take the printer home & test it in a known environment. It worked perfectly.
So I went back to the client with a spare LPT card, a spare cable, & a plan to maybe play with the bios settings.
Found the bios setting for the printer was “EPP”, so I tried changing it to “SPP” (standard PP). The driver re-installed automatically & the printer then worked…
Oh well, I probably should have checked the bios settings first.