This customer had just changed ISP, but wants me to setup the modem.
I figure this should be easy (famous last words 🙁 ).
After a few hiccups with the ISP username, I quickly manage to get the PC back onto the internet (it was off the net for about 3 weeks).
I start doing the antivirus updates, but the vista/defender updates don’t work.
Looking on the net I find a few possible answers:
– turn on network discovery
– antivirus is blocking update downloads
I eventually find the answer when I see someone mention disabling the norton firewall…
This PC is using the Vista firewall… but in the past, I have needed to set the XP firewall back to its default settings.
So I do the same with the vista firewall, and that fixed the problem.
While writing this post, I have a Homer d’oh! moment. I’ve already solved this problem before, and I’ve already written about it at:
D’OH D’OH D’OH!