With Outlook Express, whenever you clicked on an email or web link, nothing would happen… sometimes the mouse pointer would briefly show the busy logo, but otherwise nothing.
I look on the net, and find all sort of suggestions.
The obvious ones involve correcting default file associations (but the email file association hadn’t been changed, and re-entering it made no difference.
Another suggestion was to re-register some critical dlls ie:
But some of the commands give weird errors like:
- mshtml.dll was loaded, but the dll register server entry point was not found… The file cannot be registered
- shdocvw.dll failed. Return code was: 0x8002801c
I decided to install firefox, and see if I could use it as a workaround.
But after installing firefox, I just could not start it (I’d just get a busy hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing.
I finally found a solution that worked:
start control panel -> internet options ->advanced -> reset
Isn’t it amazing how 1 simple button, buried deep in a menu option, can fix a strange problem.