Customer needed his new ipaq rx4240 to display pdf files, and to connect to the internet via his wireless router.
Setting up the adobe software was a bit confusing at first (seems like you need to install the software on the PC… and that will setup the sync software to automatically convert pdf documents to “tagged” pdf documents on the ipaq.
Add to that a corrupted installer, and things took a while to sort out.
While waiting for a download, I was asked to try getting the ipaq to connect to the internet via wireless.
I manage to setup most settings, except you can only setup TKIP encryption (but the router had already need setup for AES)… OK, I’ll take a look later…
I finish the PDF work, I start the cumbersome internet explorer application, and I can (eventually!) navigate my way around the internet… entering urls is a real headache!
At least the wireless internet is working (or so I thought)
As I’m about to leave, the customer disconnects the ipaq usb cable, and then notices that he cannot get any more web pages!
I soon realise that the ipaq must have been accessing the internet via the usb link to the laptop.
In the wifi options section, I can see the customers wireless network, but the ipaq seems to continuously connect and disconnect.
Then it dawns on me: Doh! The ipaq is using TKIP!
So I change the router to TKIP (and the laptop), and then everything works smoothly.
I wish more devices (especially new ones) would support AES encryption! Its more secure than the older TKIP